ARCHANGEL MICHAEL Icon, painted in a Romanian Orthodox monastery by iconographer Nun Nicolaida The icon is a masterpiece of Byzantine art, depicting the Catholic and Orthodox symbol of St Michael the Archangel. The icon's exceptional quality and craftsmanship make it a unique and valuable piece for any collector ...or devotee of Russian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox or Catholic icons. The materials used in the icon include natural pigments, MDF wood board, 24K gold leaf, and varnish Size of the Icon: A4 11.7x8.3 inches/ 29,7x21 cm, Thickness 1 inch/ 2.5 cm. The technique used is the Egg Tempera technique, and it is entirely hand-painted. History of the icon The history of the icon dates back to Constantinople, where the original was created in the first half of the 14th century. Archangel Michael is the head of all angels, and he is depicted in a formal, frontal pose, holding a scepter in his right hand and the transparent globe of the world in his left. At the top of the globe, there is a cross, and in the center, the golden initials Χ Δ Κ, which stands for "Christ the Righteous Judge." The words on the icon "Ο ΑΡΧ(ΩΝ) ΜΙΧΑΗΛ Ο ΜΕΓΑC ΤΑΞΙΑΡΧΗ(C)" translate to "the chief [among angels] Michael Grand Taxiarch." Technical details:
• The icon is painted by Nun Petronia, an accomplished artist;The uniqueness of an icon:
• Excellence quality hand-painted icon;
• Natural pigments;
• 24K gilded and varnished;
• Icon painted on MDF Wood Board.
• The staff that Michael holds is a symbol of His celestial power derived from Christ himself;Need further information? If you have any questions, please, do not hesitate to contact me, I'll be glad to answer them.
• The globe is a symbol of Michael’s exalted position and it is solely an attribute of the Archangels Michael and Gabriel;
• The type of dress the Archangel wears (the loros) is associated with the religious authority of the emperor.