Hand Painted Virgin Mary Orthodox Icon JERUSALEM MOTHER OF GOD, painted by Orthodox mother Neonila Materials: Natural Pigments, a Lime-tree Wood Board, 24K Gold Leaf, Varnish Size of the Icon: A4 11.7x8.3 inches/ 29,7x21 cm, Thickness 1 inch/ 2.5 cm. Technique: Egg Tempera technique, ...Hand Painted History of the icon According to church tradition, the original icon was painted by the apostle St Luke in Gethsemane. There is the tomb of the Mother of God. It was painted in the 15th year after the Ascension of Our Lord. In the 5th century A.D., the icon was transferred from Jerusalem to Constantinople. After Constantinople was conquered by the Russians, it was taken to Chersonesus (Korsun). After the Baptism of Russia, the icon was sent by Prince Vladimir to the people of Novgorod. They installed it in the Cathedral of St. Sophia, where it remained until the conquest of Novgorod by Ivan the Terrible. From 1571 it was kept in the Cathedral of the Dormition of the Theotokos in the Moscow Kremlin. In 1812 the icon was taken by the French and is now kept in Notre Dame in Paris. Throughout its long existence, the icon has been glorified by numerous miracles and healings. Feast day: 12/25 October and the fifth Saturday of Lent. Technical details:
• Icon painted in Romanian Orthodox monastery by Mother Neonila;The uniqueness of an icon:
• Excellence quality hand-painted icon;
• Natural pigments;
• 24K gilded and varnished;
• Icon painted on a Lime-tree Wood Board.
• The letters MP OY mean Meter Theou – “Mother of God.”Need further information? If you have any questions, please, do not hesitate to contact me, I'll be glad to answer them.
• The letters IC XC N mean “Jesus Christ Conquers.”
• The prolonged fingers resemble the wings of a dove ( symbol of the Holy Spirit)