Russian-Orthodox-icon-silver-medal-pendant-OUR-LADY-OF-JERUSALEM-Master-Jeweler-Fedorov

Virgin Mary’s icon pendant “OUR LADY OF JERUSALEM”

$ 139.00

SKU: IS052 Category:

Sterling Silver 925 / 24 kt Gold Gilding (999), Blackening
Size: 37×20 mm / 1.46×0.79 in
Weight: ~9,2 g / ~0.32 oz
Model: 2003

The arch-shaped relief icon is a replica of Our Lady of Jerusalem, which, according to legend, was painted by St. Luke on the day of the Falling Asleep of the Blessed Virgin Mary. One of its copies was brought from Jerusalem to Constantinople, where it was first stored at a church consecrated to the Mother of God and known as Pygii, or “The Wellspring”, and later at the Church of St. Mary of Blachernae. Later the icon was moved to Kiev and then given to Novgorod as a gift by Prince Vladimir. The icon was stored at the St. Sophia Cathedral in Novgorod until Tsar Ivan the Terrible conquered the city and brought it to the Cathedral of the Dormition in the Moscow Kremlin. Another copy of Our Lady of Jerusalem was brought from Jerusalem to the St. Sophia Cathedral in Constantinople. Mary of Egypt, who had come to Jerusalem for the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, repented before this icon. Our Lady of Jerusalem belongs to a type known as Hodegetria (Greek for “Directress”, “She Who Points the Way”): the Infant Jesus is sitting on the right hand of His Mother, His legs are criss-crossed, with the right one always placed over the left, the edges of Mary’s cloak are falling onto Her chest and draping in characteristic zigzag-like folds, while Her left hand points at the Son of God. The reverse of the icon contains a prayer to Our Lady of Jerusalem, which framed in an ornament of curling lines and crowned with a blossoming cross.

Full product description is available in Russian.

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Virgin Mary’s icon pendant “OUR LADY OF JERUSALEM””


Иконка арочной формы представляет собой рельефное изображение легендарной чудотворной Иерусалимской иконы Божией Матери, существовавшей на Руси во множестве списков. За основу взята новгородская икона XVI в. из Русского музея в Санкт-Петербурге.

По преданию, Иерусалимская икона была написана евангелистом Лукой в год Успения Пресвятой Богородицы. В 453 г. образ привезли из Иерусалима в Константинополь, где он был помещен сначала в храме Богоматери, называемом «Пигии» (т.е. Источник), а затем во Влахернской церкви. В 988 г. икона была перенесена в Киев, а затем князь Владимир передал ее в дар Новгороду. До середины XVI в. икона находилась в новгородском Софийском соборе. В 1571 г. после покорения Новгорода царь Иван Грозный перенес Иерусалимскую икону в Успенский собор Московского Кремля, где она оставалась до 1812 г.

Другая Иерусалимская икона Богородицы была перенесена из Иерусалима в храм святой Софии в Константинополе и находилась там с XII по XV в. Перед этой иконой принесла свое покаяние Мария Египетская, попавшая в Иерусалим на празднование Воздвижения Креста Господня.

Икона Божией Матери «Иерусалимская» относится к иконографическому типу «Одигитрия». На всех иконах этого извода Младенец сидит со скрещенными ножками (правая поверх левой) на правой руке Богоматери. Края ее мафория падают на грудь, образуя характерные зигзагообразные складки. Левой рукой она указывает на Сына Божьего. Сходную иконографию имеют иконы Богоматери: «Цареградская» (Третьяковская галерея) и «Гребневская» (Загорский художественный музей). Зеркальным переводом «Иерусалимской» является икона Богоматери «Грузинская».

На оборотной стороне образка написан текст молитвы, читаемой перед иконой Богородицы Иерусалимской: прес™az гпcжE, вLчце бцdе, … ! Ўслhши и3 поми1луй ны2 грBшныz и3 недостHйныz рабы6 тво‰, со ўмилeніемъ ко пречтcому твоемY w4бразу припaдающыz… Текст обрамлен вьющимся орнаментом. Венчает композицию изображение процветшего Креста.

Празднование Иерусалимской иконе Божией Матери совершается 12 (25) октября.

Be the first to review “Virgin Mary’s icon pendant “OUR LADY OF JERUSALEM””


navigation arrow to top